ABOUT THE CLIENT
The client was functioning as a Non-Banking credit institution at the time of conception with a main objective of providing mortgage finance for construction of residential houses and also accepting saving deposits from the public before getting licensed and regulated as one of the leading commercial banks in Africa.
WHAT BUSINESS CHALLENGE WAS THE CLIENT EXPERIENCING?
The client approached Kaplan with the aim of equipping their senior leadership team with high-level insights on the strategic aspects of a modern banking environment, capitalizing on the advancements and innovations modern banks have introduced in the last few years to attract and retain bank customers both on the retail and corporate levels.
The client wanted a learning solution that would:
- Help the board members of the bank gain a global perspective of the new developments taking place in the world of banking
- Inspire the SLT (Senior Leadership Team) to do things in new ways
- Help to align the learning to the business needs by introducing enough industry insights in order to gain a strategic edge and to keep a close eye on the recent and continuing regulations and controls in the banking industry
- Link the learning outcomes to decision making for disruptive strategies which drive business impact
WHAT SOLUTION DID KAPLAN PROVIDE?
A Future of Banking programme tailored specifically to the client.
HOW DID KAPLAN WORK WITH THE CLIENT TO DEVELOP THE SOLUTION?
- To develop the learning solution, Kaplan used the ‘collaborative customization’ approach
- The course outline and the content was developed by conducting consultative interviews with key stakeholders of the organization
- The key stakeholders worked closely with our industry expert to develop content aimed at introducing the latest advancements and to stimulate discussion on how to improve their current banking offering to a more advanced one
The resulting programme, therefore, was highly bespoke and included a blend of theoretical concepts, case studies, illustrative videos and group discussions
HOW WAS THE TRAINING DELIVERED?
The training was delivered face-to-face (F2F). It was interactive and included the following components:
- Theory of banking concepts and jargons
- Case studies, illustrative videos and group discussions
The content was comprehensive encompassing details related to product development, sales & marketing, regulatory oversights and provision requirements
WHAT ASPECTS WERE HIGHLY APPRECIATED BY THE CLIENT?
- Collaborative customization of programme and content through a consultative approach
- Industry experienced trainers conducting the interactive delivery
- Comprehensive material for effective embedding
- Project management geared towards a well-executed programme
WHAT DID THE CANDIDATES THINK OF THE PROGRAMME?
- “The trainer was a very inspiring lecturer and had an extremely interactive approach”
- “We would be highly interested in a construction and housing finance programme”
- “The lecturer was very knowledgeable and friendly. We enjoyed the hospitality of the team. Great learnings indeed”
- “Very good instructor, materials and presentation”
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS EXPERIENCED BY THE CLIENT AFTER THE PROGRAMME?
The board members who attended the training found it extremely useful as it met their business need of attaining a high level of awareness regarding new banking trends globally which would further help them to devise strategies geared towards growth and impact.
The SLT (Senior Leadership Team) also realized that the learnings and insights needed to cascade down to their senior managers since the decision makers need their buy-in for planning and executing disruptive strategies. Kaplan therefore worked closely with our client to enable democratization of learning for their reporting managers by conducting the same programme for two different cohorts.